Friday 19 April 2024

Bernd Wilde, DL7APV, SK.

I learned via the EI7GL blog site (see link in sidebar) that Bernd, DL7APV, has become silent key.

Bernd was a fixture on 432MHz before he constructed his massive antenna in 2018, and after that he introduced many to the potential of the band. His behemoth array has 128 11 element antennas formed into a vast box with an overall gain of 33.7 dBd. Not only did I work him via Earth-Moon-Earth using this monster, I also worked him easily on tropo at a distance of over 1000km.

Bernd, DL7APV, now sadly SK, and his 70cm antenna

I will miss Bernd's gentle reminders about upcoming contests. He had a delightful way of expressing his wish for me to come on and give him a contact via moonbounce. He would send me an email and point out the date of the forthcoming event. He would then say that if it could be fun for me to have a contact with him, it would also be fun for him to have a contact with me during the contest. He did not say "come on and work me", but rather he correctly pointed out that I could if I would enjoy it. He was right: I did enjoy it.

Actually there was no need for a formal sked, I could hear him very clearly and reply to his CQ call. My antenna only has about 14 dBd gain, so he was doing all the work. No doubt he sent similar E mails to large group of operators who, like me, had enjoyed early EME success working Bernd on 70cm. 

I shall miss Bernd and I send his surviving family and friends my condolences.

Where will we ever find such an enthusiast again?

73 Jim 

GM4FVM

No comments:

Post a Comment