Wednesday 21 June 2023

Ionoscatter opening on 144MHz?

I am not very familiar with ionoscatter propagation. My knowledge has been limited to 

a) it is a forward scatter mode from the D layer

b) it peaks with D layer ionisation, so high summer at mid-day is a good time

c) it does not depend on atmospheric pressure like tropo

d) distances achievable are around 900 to 2000km

e) best frequencies are 30 to 60MHz, though up to 100MHz is sometimes quoted

f) it needs a lot of effective radiated power to work

The interplay between (e) and (f) tends to rule it out for me. At 50MHz I have 200W at the antenna, and on 70MHz it is 50-100W. On the other hand, at 144MHz I can put 200W to the antenna which has a lot more gain than is available on the lower bands. My ERP on 2m is twice what I have on 6m, even with the same power at the antenna.

So the only band I put out a reasonable ERP is above the ideal frequency for working Ionoscatter. I have read about it but I did not think it was for me. So, basically, I have ignored Ionoscatter so far.

As you may gather from this post, this period of overlooking Ionoscatter is now over. Yesterday was 20 June, almost at the Summer Solstice when the day length was 17 hours and 35 minutes here. Not a bad date for Ionoscatter. Mid Summer, mid day, a handy time to be looking for this.

There is an interesting article here  

https://www.qsl.net/oz1rh/ionoscatter/ionoscatter_lecture_2002.htm#_Toc10594132

The first sign I had that something odd was happening was hearing DK1FG working a local station. Now Gerhard is an EME operator with an antenna array with 10dB more gain than mine.  Also he has an linear amplifier with about 6 or 7 dB more than mine so his ERP will be tens of kilowatts more than mine, and probably a lot more. With the benefits of his much taller mast he will have several more dB over me there too, plus he has a superb site. With the advantage of antenna elevation he can also set his antennas to the optimum angle for ionoscatter. Despite all of this, I normally cannot hear him because under normal conditions no path exists. Hearing him yesterday was something of a surprise, working him was a greater surprise.

These were not "normal conditions". The distance between DK1FG and GM4FVM is 1128km, an ideal distance for ionoscatter. To achieve a contact like this we are exploiting one of ionoscatter's key characteristics. Whilst there is a ideal frequency range of 30 to 100MHz, this is not a strict limit. In fact as you exceed those values the losses rise but the propagation continues to work with more path loss until you reach the noise level. So by using an EME capable station at one end of the QSO it becomes possible to generate the sort of power budget which would make ionoscatter possible at 144MHz. Much lower ERP should work at 70 or 50MHz.

DK1FG's mast and antennas (DK1FG's QRZ.com site)

I do not have that sort of station but the path loss arithmetic suggests that a more modest station at one end of the QSO should be able to make ionoscatter work at 2m. From my point of view I decided to treat ionoscatter like moonbounce - I could not work a station like mine at 1000km range, but I might be able to work a superstation.

Actually using ionoscatter on 144MHz proved a bit tricky. Stations were on great circle bearings (unlike meteor scatter or aurora) but signals were patchy with what looked like steep QSB. It took a while to get a complete QSO. In line with the idea that around mid day would be best, I worked DK1FG at 11:55 and then worked four stations up to 14:22. I also failed to complete with one station and worked another one which may have been tropo.

144MHz contacts at GM4FVM on 20 June 2023

I have put 100km circles on this map to show what happened next. The following QSO was with F5RZC. Jean-Francois also runs a powerful station but he is "only" 642km away and I can work him under slightly raised tropo conditions. I am pretty sure that this was a tropo contact, and although not very strong, it did not show the peaky QSB shown by the other contacts.

After that I worked SM5DIC (JO89 1197km), OH6KTL (KP02 1506), SM1HOW (JO97 1270) and SM0DJW (JO88 1240). I failed to complete with OH2FNR (KP20 1641). These are all good VHF stations with better antennas, receive pre-amps and power levels than I have.

So why am I rambling on about how much better stations these are? Because that is what is needed for ionoscatter. It would not be required for a tropo contact during a tropo lift at these distances. All the signs are there for ionoscatter, and this is reinforced by the operators sending postings to the cluster indicating that this was ionoscatter. 

I suspect that the contact with F5RZC was tropo. There was no other tropo around and it did stand out as unusual. However, it appears to be too close for ionoscatter. The others look more certain.

Could I do this again? Can I use it on 6m and 4m where is might be more effective outside the mid-Summer mid-day window?

P.S. During similar conditions today I caught this screen grab which shows the distinctive patterns on the waterfall. Tropo would have shown long slow QSB and strong signals, this shows patchy weak signals.

Set against this, I seem to have forgotten several days of nice tropo since the last posting. The high pressure collapsed, the tropo went away and that is why I noticed the ionoscatter.

73 Jim

GM4FVM

4 comments:

  1. I noticed this opening too. Definitely ionoscatter, and stronger than I've ever heard before. Many single yagi to single yagi reports on cluster. Surprising FT8 copes wth the signal distortion...but it seems to manage pretty well. -Tim G4LOH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim thanks for the comment. I did wonder if a data mode more suited to scatter propagation might have been better. I have been seeing traces since but nothing has decoded recently. Your mention of single yagi to single yagi contacts is interesting. Food for thought. There is still original research to be done on some of these less common modes. 73 Jim GM4FVM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried Q65-15C (as the tone separation is 27Hz compared to just 6Hz of FT8), it seems several dB better when tested on a 1400km path to eastern DL. Downside being that you have to set up a sked, rather than just leave the radio monitoring 144174. More ionoscatter here today, hope it stays open for VHF NFD this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that Q65 often offers distinct advantages over FT8, but actually getting someone to use it can be difficult. Sadly I think that a lot of data mode users just look at the fashion and not the characteristics of their chose mode. I think that one protocol can never be the answer in all situations, but that seems to be the plan for many.

      Delete