Tuesday 2 February 2016

IC-7100 low SSB output - a surgical solution

News from Greg SP3RNZ.

He has heard from SV0CL about a modification to increase the output power on SSB for the IC-7100.

I have reported before that my IC-7100 is low on power on SSB, but not on other modes.

I have not tried either of these mods as I already have an outboard set-up which I think I will stick with for now.

BEWARE - modify your rig at your own risk!

If I was going to try either of them I think I would try number "2".

They are interesting on two counts - they are not big modifications - and it shows that many minds have been working on this problem.

Greg's blog is here http://www.sp3rnz.blogspot.co.uk/

As Greg points out, these are not official Icom modifications, and he and those who designed them cannot be responsible if any damage results. Come to think of it, I have not tried them and I cannot be responsible for any damage caused either.

Before you tinker with your rig remember that you may invalidate the warranty or do some damage. On the other hand, radio amateurs are famous for working on their own equipment.

Here are the two pages on Greg's website which deal with the modifications. Note that you should only do one, not both. The SOFT one looks best to me. See also the comments from those who have done it.

Here is the main post:  http://sp3rnz.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/breaking-news-icom-ic-7100-low-ssb.html

Here is the addendum; http://sp3rnz.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/icom-ic-7100-low-ssb-power-modification.html

Both the suggested mods look fairly straightforward and they look reversible provided nothing else was affected.

Thanks Greg and everybody involved.

73

Jim
GM4FVM

No comments:

Post a Comment