Monday 14 October 2024

How often should I call CQ on VHF?

Most amateurs seem to have a simple rule for the right times to be calling CQ - they are correct and everybody else is wrong. Who am I to disagree?

Here comes another rabbit hole for me to race down. I am like a border terrier on a long walk.

I apply a statistical approach to this [and everything else Jim ... try getting a life instead]

If everybody just called CQ nobody would ever work anybody. And if everybody just listened and did not call CQ then nobody would work anybody. So there has to be some balance between one and the other.

When I am listening myself I see stations calling CQ constantly and never looking for any one else's CQ calls. They only respond to stations calling them in response to their CQ call. From this evidence I conclude that they are content to do this and it meets their needs. My own experience suggests that this style of operating simply shuts out the possibility of amassing new countries or squares. I find that if I need to reach a new country I need to go after it.

For sure, from time to time, some new DX will answer a CQ, but that relies on luck. Luck works, but not very well if you are square and DXCC hunting. I want to challenge myself, not just accept what comes to me.

Then there are those on data modes who set their Tx watchdog to 99 minutes and call CQ for all that time. I can think of one station south of me on 2m who clearly does exactly that. This tactic might work on the ever changing propagation on HF (how would I know?) but on VHF where the antennas at each station might add 10 to 20dB gain, it is a bit annoying to have one period blocked at 40dB over S9 for 99 minutes thanks to a nearby CQ nutcase.

This is amateur radio. It is self regulating. There is nothing in the rule book so say you cannot do this type of thing. There is no rule book for this type of thing. They may not make themselves very popular, but popularity might not mean much to them. The station I have in mind gets a lot of abuse. Luckily he is hundreds of kilometres away from me so he does not trouble me.

There was a time, years ago, when I had local stations around me. One local, who perhaps might have known better after 50 years of operating, turned his Tx watchdog to 99 minutes and called CQ via his linear and beam on 2m. He used to set this off and go to the pub, running it for another 99 minutes after he came back and went to bed. Sometimes someone would call him once via random aircraft scatter and then vanish back into the noise, which left him sending a report to nobody for another 99 minutes. The inevitable happened of course when the relay in his rig got stuck. After that we never heard him on again. No doubt when he woke up the next day there was that nasty acrid smell of burned components (as well as a stale beer smell).

During the time we are calling CQ we are not listening for Dx. If I call for 99 minutes on one period I will never hear any stations on that period. Old Dx hands know that juicy Dx can turn up on either period.

Calling CQ is all fine and dandy but from what I can see many amateurs don't do it much. These ones just set up their data modes and listen, only replying to DX when they hear it. They take the opposite approach to the CQ-ers and it seems to work for them. But does it? Their success depends on the Dx station happening to call CQ at the right moment. 

I learned what little I know about VHF operating on 70MHz. I spent years listening on 4m, calling CQ when I thought something might be happening. Mostly I heard white noise and got frustrated. But there were times when I was hearing nothing but when I called CQ someone replied. I could never rely on the other station to be calling CQ just when the path was open.

It is perfectly possible for any VHF or UHF band to be open and everybody is just listening. This does not just happen in the empty wastes of 70MHz. Those pesky Dx stations have a habit of just listening too. It isn't that I miss their activity, they are not going to transmit just because I want them to be (in  order to allow me to simply listen for them).

Today I see that various people are hearing FK8HA on 6m. At present this seems to be limited to stations in Southern Europe. According to PSK Reporter lots of the usual 6m Dx hounds around me are listening. So I am listening too. But what if the band is open to the Pacific and stations in the Pacific are listening too? Then nobody works anybody, despite the path being open.

50MHz at GM4FVM, 14 October 2024

No doubt I would hear a lot more French and other stations calling FK4HA is I was beaming their way, but I am beaming at New Caledonia.

Lets us face it, the chances of me working FK8HA are vanishingly small. The propagation, such as it is, is towards Southern Europe. But how do I know the path is not open? Or more likely a similar path from GM to some nearby exotic Pacific Island location? Propagation changes and moves. I could test this out by calling CQ. How often? But will I annoy others by dong so? Does any of that matter?

I know fine well from my 4m days that often a path can be open with no activity and sometimes the only way to establish that is to call CQ. I also know that frequently calling CQ is both self defeating and sometimes annoying to others. I reckon that there has to be a balance here.

During VHF openings I work to a strategy of calling for one or two periods, in other words for a minute or less. Then I listen for a longer period before calling briefly again, possibly on the other period. The reason for this is to be quite sure that there is not a brief opening to a station on that period. It seems to work. When conditions are changing by the minute a long CQ call could be a disadvantage.

When there is no specific opening I use my standard Tx watchdog setting of 3 minutes. This means that I can call CQ but not block my chances of hearing some Dx on that period for very long. I have longer settings for meteor scatter. 

Just like everybody else, I can rely on the certainty that what I do is correct, and everybody else has got it wrong. But seriously, I can see people calling CQ for long periods and working nothing, and others who do not call CQ for long periods and miss the chance of some Dx. It is up to them.

Yesterday I was sitting here fiddling with something. I looked up and noticed that I was decoding FR8UA on 50MHz. Not a new country but a nice one all the same. By the time I had cranked the mast up, turned the beam, fired up the linear and replied he was gone. I decoded him eight times but missed a contact. It is quite possible that he was on before that but he was also listening. If I had called CQ earlier ... ???

These examples are just what is happening at the moment. However there are plenty of examples where I think that if I had called CQ more often or less often I would have done better. 

There is no simple answer to this problem. 

But I know that I am right. Just like everybody else knows the same thing.

73 Jim

GM4FVM

No comments:

Post a Comment